Wrigley District of Long Beach gets its name from William Wrigley the owner
an founder of the famed Wrigley Spearmint Gum Empire in Chicago. It was one
of the first communities established in Long Beach. The original subdivision
pattern was established in 1905. The area is developed throughout on a gridiron
street pattern. The block are six hundred (600) feet long and individual
lots have 50 foot street frontages. All street rights of way are 60 feet
in width except Daisy and Magnolia Avenues.
Daisy has 120 feet of right of way with a Deodar Trees in a 40 foot wide
median from Pacific Coast Highway north to Hill Street at one time there
was a Trolley Line that went up the median. At Christmas time the median
is decorated for the season.
Magnolia has a 70 foot right of way and provides direct access for traffic
north and South and is the only internal street which serves as a
The district is bounded on the North, by the 405 Freeway on the South by
Pacific Coast Highway and East by Long Beach Blvd. Pacific Avenue also
goes thru the area with commercial strip land uses. The flood channel for
the Los Angeles River is the Western Boundary.
Single family homes predominate the area built between 1928 and 1940. Homes
are small 1,000 to 1,200 Square Feet, they are by no means modest mostly
on Raised Foundations, with Hardwood Floors. The homes built between 1928
and 1934 are Spanish Colonial Revival. The roof towers, porticos and arched
windows and wide door openings ad to the interest and charm. The same type
of architecture was used in duplexes and flats in the district. In addition
to the Spanish architecture there are many other styles, contemporary of
the period, and some California Bungalows.